Wednesday, October 3, 2007

Vector SLH100V HID Spotlight

Being a flashlight collector/addict, I have always longed for a HID flashlight, but couldn't stomach the $300+ cost for most portable HID flashlights. When I saw the spotlight in the Cabela's catalog, for $150, I was very excited. This is not a flashlight (like a Maglite), but rather a spotlight similar to the gazillion-candlepower spotlights you can buy at sporting good stores or mega-retailers.

Here are the basics of the Vector SLH100V:
  • 35W-6000 K metal halide bulb
  • 12v-7Ah sealed lead acid battery
  • 8.5 pound weight
  • 3,500-lumen brightness
  • 70-minutes run-time
  • Lens diameter: 6"
  • Nylon carrying strap
  • 13.8V DC - 750mA charger
When I received the spotlight, I quickly read the instructions and plugged in the Vector. It didn't take very long for the battery to charge. Turning it on, it took a few seconds for the bulb to reach full brightness (just like the HID systems in cars). Dang, this is one bright light !!! DO NOT stare at the beam directly. It turned my dark backyard into an illuminated Candlestick Park wherever I pointed the light. I've never owned anything brighter. While checking some speaker wires under my desk, I used the built-in stand (ratchets to various angles) on the Vector to point the spotlight under the desk. It worked perfectly pointing the beam at the bottom of the desk while I checked wires. The on/off switch is a simple rocker switch under the handle, and a nylon shoulder/carrying strap is included. Though not small or portable, this is a highly recommended light at a bargain price.


- Gary

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I couldn't agree with you more. For the money, this flashlight/spotlight is the brightest I've seen. I did a video about it:

http://glenwoodfincafe.blogspot.com/2008/08/brightest-flashlight-in-world-for-under.html